All you can eat restaurants?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All you can eat restaurants?

Post by Bluecollarlove on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Who goes to these kinds of places?

I remember being a kid and enjoying going to a 'carvery' - I tended to eat all the starters several times but always skipped the main meals. I guess that's why I've kept an athletic build:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8320043.stm

In just 12 months the all-you-can-eat restaurant chain Taybarns has taken the catering industry by storm - and there are plans to open 30 new branches. But does it encourage unhealthy eating?

With a "34-metre long food counter" Taybarns is all about quantity. It offers an array of food. Choose from a chip shop, carvery, pizza, pasta, even what appears to be a new hybrid-cuisine, Texican.

Its menu boasts: "Enjoy as much as you like, as many times as you like. All for one fixed price!"

While other restaurants are closing at an estimated rate of 100 a month, Whitbread which owns Taybarns, has recorded a 3% increase in sales in the last six months to £703.3m.

Once you're in, you're in. And you've got the opportunity to try as many different food types as you like
Simon Ewins,
Taybarns Operations Director

It is serving almost 10,000 people a week in its most popular branches and there are plans to expand next year, turning 30 Brewers Fayre pubs into Taybarns.

"We offer quality family food at a really good price and it's helped Taybarns succeed where others have failed," says Taybarns operations director and the man behind the concept, Simon Ewins.

"We're doing volumes that are eye watering for the industry. Our Wigan branch, which has been open for a year, has served more meals than the population of the town - 300,000."

TAYBARNS PER MONTH
Taybarns food
312kg of tomatoes used
6000kg of potatoes roasted
12,800 chickens cooked
122,200 sausages grilled
588,000 items cutlery washed

Ewins says the company has, unashamedly, based itself in the working-class heart of Britain.

There are Taybarns branches in Newcastle upon Tyne, South Shields, Barnsley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Coventry, Swansea and Wigan.

Help yourself

It is not yet 6pm on a Friday night in the Coventry branch of Taybarns and already the eaterie is full of people queuing along that famously lengthy food counter.

Customers pay £5.99 - or £7.99 in the evenings - at the door. Then, as the sign says, "grab a plate, help yourself, help yourself again".

"We come here because of the choice of the food and the price, it's really good value" says one woman whose plate holds a burger, chips, sausage and a lamb skewer. "We can all go out as a family. We're all different, but there are no arguments about I don't like this or I don't like that."

The union jack bunting strung across the chip shop, the flames leaping up from the wok and the sweet smell wafting from the dessert counter add to the buzz of excitement among customers. The treacle tart and chocolate sponge are going down well.

and the video in the link.....
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: All you can eat restaurants?

Post by Lissee on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:54 am

[quote="Bluecollarlove"]

I remember being a kid and enjoying going to a 'carvery' - I tended to eat all the starters several times but always skipped the main meals. I guess that's why I've kept an athletic build:[quote="Bluecollarlove"]

we will have to take ur word on that as u have been to shy to post any pics lol
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am

Lol Lissee.

Shy my ass!

I did post my mugshot up somewhere before. Here's another one:

Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 am

How did i miss that one...

Very nice pic, one without the helmet on next????
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:51 am

One without my helmet? (gasp)

That's the most important part of a man's body!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 am

I do like helmets on bikers, its usually a dissapointment when u see whats under them lol
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:01 am

Lol.

No one has ever called me ugly before! Well, 'exceptionally ugly' that is Smile

I did do modelling when I was younger. Like...about 18years old. Lol. That was really embarrassing!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:08 am

Bluecollarlove wrote:Lol.

No one has ever called me ugly before! Well, 'exceptionally ugly' that is Smile

I did do modelling when I was younger. Like...about 18years old. Lol. That was really embarrassing!

As the phrase goes 'photos or it never happened' lol
See im learning how this forum milarkey works
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 am

Haha. It happened alright.

I had no training or anything. The lead guy for the college fashion show was off with a sickie and they needed a reserve. It wasn't like I was cutting edge material or anything, but they needed someone slightly taller than average with a 28 inch waist to fit the clothes (not those carvery restaurant eater types!). Oh to be a svelte teenager Smile

In the end, they pulled it off with me. Either that, or getting a girl to dress up in mens' clothes would have been the only option!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:48 am

Morgan a model ayye, my mate is a model, apparently his shoots pay him £10,000 an hour!!! I don't think its a lie either as who can afford 3 cars within 6 months and then write one off and then go out and buy a fully pimped out VW golf.

I know some people who have eaten at these type of resturants. I have never been to one you know, when it was my birthday, 8 of us went for dinner, I was full halfway through the main, while all the others managed 3 courses and an ice cream down by the sea!!

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:16 am

Lol Dan.

Pimping and modelling aren't the same thing! Laughing

I did it once - never again (modelling that is. not pimping Smile ). I got paid peanuts for it and all it netted me was a bunch of superficial girlfriends I couldn't wait to escape to university and get away from. They were so so into Cosmo and nail varnish and lacey rampant rabbit stuff. I just liked sitting down and having a simple chat with no strings attached! Very Happy

You did well to manage halfway through the main! I remember the chicken very well; it was kind of over-boiled and swimming in a bed of gravy; the chicken flesh could easily lift from the bone, showing that it had been boiled and boiled to death till the skin and meat were starting to de-bone. It worried me since this is exactly how chicken looks, when it's been left on a heated stove for about 5 hours in the restaurants I used to work in. Any nutrients left in the meat would disappear and the meat was just left to dessicate and dry out; which is why they left it swimming in gravy, and adding water to prevent dehydration.

Ewwww!

Sounds like a nice birthday party. I had one in a Japanese bar, and my friend told me that I should try some of the ice-cream which was special Japanese ice-cream. It was wasabi - something I'd never tasted before. I'll never forget how that made a shooting fire straight up my nostrils!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:37 am

Haha Smile

Morgan, I bet you loved it at the time, all those girls faffing around you, I bet it was like anymans dream Smile

Well, that isn't a chicken I would have touched, if it looks odd or smells odd then it won't be going into my mouth (take note Lisa MILF) Wink

Were you ill after that chicken in the end?

Wasabi - Hmm that rings a bell is it a form of martial arts? J/K I think I've seen it in one of the posh menus at a resturant before.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Lol Dan. Your dream; not mine Smile Smile

I'd take one honest and beautiful girl over 15 who are busy doing their nails and admiring themselves anytime Wink

I didn't eat that chicken.... GRIEF. I'm not sure it's edible. I'm sure I could still see the remains of a roasted rubber band - you know - the bit that ties their legs together in the oven. Looked like the chef couldn't be bothered taking the rubber band off in order to cram more chickens into the oven.

Roasted rubber band chicken is just gross....! One of the formative milestones in becoming a vegetarian Smile

Haha - I've been to some very nice restaurants. When you're in London, it's hard not to. Some of them are more about decor and ambience rather than food though..
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:13 pm

My dream yes, Okay so it was your dream like 15 or soo years ago Smile

I'd take one honest and beautiful girl over 15 who are busy doing their nails and admiring themselves anytime;)

How did you just read my mind? Surprised

Arghh, that chicken sounds like them rubber toys that you get for the dogs to fool them in thinking its actually food! lol I eat some chicken, if it looks good, some can be quite dry I drown it in gravy if I can eat it, then its all good Smile

I don't think I could afford to eat in some of those nice resturants in London, it was quote dear in Dublin but very nice and tasty food Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Lol Dan :Laughing:

I'd take one honest and beautiful girl over 15 who are busy doing their nails and admiring themselves anytime Wink

I meant I'd take 1x honest and beautiful girl OVER 15x other girls who do their nails...... not:

I'd take one honest and beautiful girl over 15 years old :Laughing:
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Yes - no quality control at all in those eat all you can restaurants!

Hell I can't afford to eat in those nice restaurants all the time either! I had a business colleague come and take our group out for dinner in an expensive restaurant which charged £50 for a bowl of soup! Eek. That's more than £1 per spoonful...!

Dublin is as/more pricey than London. If you were in the islands or France, you'd be surprised at how much cheaper and better the quality gets. I'm not impressed with London restaurants. The price you pay is too great for the relatively small increase in quality...
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Lol Morgan, you know me, I'd take either Wink

Yeah all the food is just thrown out without even thinking about presentation.

£50 for soup!!! Thats mental, I know what I want to be when I grow up now. Ohh well as long as it wasn't you paying Smile

Ohh maybe I could afford London then Smile We had some very nice food in Dublin, I had Chicken Korma, Pizza, Meatballs and Spaghetti and some fish. It was quite dear, I'd say it was costing about 60 Euro for 3 of us. Then a pint of Guiness was 4.50 Euro!

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Lol Morgan, you know me, I'd take either

......Brolly girls.....are not cheap! They are a depreciating asset! lol!

£50/bowl of soup isn't expensive when you're not paying for it...! It was one of those rare treats you get when rich clients bring you out. Generally I'm happy with French or Chinese food (not so much Italian). You can eat cheap in London - like there are a host of pub type grub places (variable quality) where £50-60 for 3 isn't unusual, or restaurants where £40-50 is standard for 3 (no alcohol).

I don't drink much when I'm out in case it alters my reflexes when I'm riding, so that's sorted!

We don't have many Welsh restaurants in the city though. A lot of cheap noodle bars have sprung up (around £5-7 a bowl). Sushi restaurants are generally pricey for what you get. I like the traditional Italian family run restaurants, but pizza has always tasted like cardboard to me. I'm not so hot on tomato and cheese biscuit bread for dinner!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 am

[quote="DanHam"]
Well, that isn't a chicken I would have touched, if it looks odd or smells odd then it won't be going into my mouth (take note Lisa MILF) Wink
[quote="DanHam"]

Note taken lol Wink
note thrown out the window lol
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 am

Hmm Brolly Girl eyy Wink Lisa I have a job for you Razz

Yeah, if your boss was paying, I'd get everything dear on the menu, get him back for all the work hes made you do Smile £50 for a 3 course isn't bad actually, if its a good evening and the food is good then I would pay it.

Ohh I only ever drink when I'm not riding too.

Yeah I like Italian too Smile There was quite a few of them fast food chinese type food bars in Dublin, I never ate in one though, I guess they're good if you need a cheap and quick snack but thats all.

Mmm the waiter woman we had over in Dublin was gorgeous....the pizza was too Wink she kept looking at me for some reason Rolling Eyes

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:15 am

Lissee wrote:Note taken lol Wink

I'm very glad to hear it Wink maybe I'd make an exception for you Razz

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:16 am

DanHam wrote:
Lissee wrote:Note taken lol Wink

I'm very glad to hear it Wink maybe I'd make an exception for you Razz

You wont need to make an exception for me as nothing looks or smells odd lol
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:25 am

Even better Lisa Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:06 pm

How did this food thread degenerate into a discussion about milfing! bounce
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Lisa has bad influences on all of us. Tut Tut Lisa.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down