Got my first driving lesson in an hour :)

Go down

Got my first driving lesson in an hour :)

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 am

Been trying to ring for a while, then my Dads OH rang this morning and spoke then she passed the instructor to me, he goes 'Ohh when are you free' I turn and look at the calendar and go 'Ermm', he goes 'How about 4 till 5, you can drive me to Shrewsbury'.

So I took him up on it, Shrewsbury is where I'm doing Mod2 which I also booked last night, so I thought it would be good practice to get to know the roads around there Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Got my first driving lesson in an hour :)

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 am

Right foot forward! No left...!!!

Just don't crash!!!

Hope the instructor's got dual controls Smile
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 am

thats really sweet of you to warn everyone lol

just think , hes out on the road now sweating his little palms off

Hope it went well .
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 am

Haha it was good, the car though, its a very nice car just quite sort of 'thing' for your first drive Razz

Its a Mini Cooper S with a Miltek Race engine and a 6 speed box, pumping out 230-240 bhp. Damn what a fucker to drive, I put it into 3rd SHIT no that was 1ST anyway good job I didn't let clutch out Wink

Yeah its got dual control, he had to use them quite a bit on the clutch thing as I wasn't giving it enough 'gas' to pull away but then too much and it forces you into the back of your seat lmao.

Anyway, he said its not going to take very long at all to pass, so I've booked in with him for 2 hours next Monday, when he got here, my Dads asked him about booking a slot, when he left, he never mentioned it guess that good news ehh Very Happy maybe I won't need 10 2 hour lessons Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Okay good Dan - so you made it! Laughing

A Mini Cooper? Crikes. That isn't a learner car!

Sounds like fun. Do you think it's as fun as riding a bike then? Smile
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah I made it, just about Smile

Nope not a learner car at all is it.

Im going to be very straight with you now Morgan...No. Smile

Haha I much prefer riding the bike, I fell I have more control and I may be more open to the surroundings but I prefer it, theres too many distractions in a car.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Well you didn't drive in to a ditch at least!

It's quite a powerful car for a learner. That instructor of yours is very brave Very Happy

No surprises there well. Having someone sit and supervise you in an armchair isn't quite as liberating as riding a motorcycle. Even when I did CBT, I had great fun on the quad grounds over driving a Nissan Micra bubble car.

Well I don't have a car now. I'm in two minds about what to get, but it's looking like a boring practical type in order to cope over the winter...
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Nope I didn't, I found it odd, I was like twitching the wheel when changing gear, but I soon got used to it.

Yeah it don't half throw you in the seat, I got to over take this 30mph big thing lol. His words to me were 'Mirror, signal, FLOOR IT', I was like LOL Smile

On my CBT I was getting overtaken by everyone, but the ped was stuck at 30 mph unlike mine Smile I bet it felt good to do that to one of them Micra's.

Ohh that sold very fast Smile Yeah my Dads been asking me what car I would want, I'm like I don't mind, a crap one, I'd probably only use it 3 months of the year anyway Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Mirror, signal, floor it?!! That's a new one.

FAIL!!!! One step over 30mph, and you'll have had it Sad

The Micra was a horrible little car. It had a better gear box than a Ford Fiesta but still felt like a stick insect in the freezer.

Your dad's preeeetty liberal if he's offering you a car lol. Why not go for a mini-cooper then? They're quite fashionable little cages that can Wink
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissee on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:21 am

Bluecollarlove wrote:Mirror, signal, floor it?!!

Wink

Now that sounds like a fun driving instructor lol
Lissee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:32 am

Yeah, those were his exact words, I was quite surprised, he did tell me to shift up at about 5K revs when it can go up to 8K lol, damn I love the sound of the supercharger whining on it Smile

He's a very fun instructor Lisa Smile

Yeah, I was in a 60 though Morgan Wink

My auntie has had 2 Micra's now, I guess they're okay, not something I would have though, but then I've never driven one.

Erm I don't really know what my Dad meant, Im happy without a car as long as I have my bike Smile I looked at the Old Mini's yesterday but they are like £3000, I was hoping not to spend more than a £1000 for a car as I doubt I'll insure it fully comp.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 am

You've got a tachymeter in your carrrr!!!

That's not learner standard!! Smile

Micra drivers aren't as bad as Fiesta or Astra drivers - the weapon of choice for chavs.

Now hold on here......you did 60 as a learner?! When we (collectively) did the driving test back in the 90's, we were restricted to 45mph for the first year, so as learners there was no way we'd get to do 60mph!

Guess that makes sense - any car that's parked in the streets ends up getting bumped and scraped....
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 am

You were restricted to 45!!! Thats mad where did you learn to drive? My Dad's 10 years older than you and he didn't have that, his instrictor had him doing 85 mph through a town once!

Yeah I seem to be able to keep the speed stable not like some that accelerate then brake and bla bla bla its annoying.

Yeah I got to 60, he then told me to slow down as some corners were coming up, its strange you have to slow down in a car, I've never had to on the bike Smile

Well I didn't feel a scrape or hit a curb, I on the first few left hand junctions I kept going wide but he got me doing them well after he kept saying 'Turn left, turn left, turn left' He sounded like a stick record Laughing

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:36 am

Ireland Smile

There's no way any instructor would've condoned riding at 70mph let alone 85mph for a newbie!

A car has less cornering ability unless it's really got a low centre of gravity; with a motorcycle, you just bank and do a cool knee slide lol!

I'm waiting to see how many lamp posts you hit when you reverse a car! That's something motorcyclists always struggle with because we don't have reverse gears on our bikes Smile
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 am

Ohh right no wonder then.

Well I think its good for the instructor to let them get a bit of speed sometimes as it gives them good experience Smile

Yeah well you may do knee slide, I haven't quite mastered it fully yet, I can scrape pegs but not knees Very Happy

Heyy just because you hit a lamp post, doesn't mean we all will Smile With a bike I just pull forward then push it back with my feet Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm

That's true, but speed has to be moderate and controlled for the conditions!

Slow control is always harder; particularly riding the clutch Smile

I rarely ever get my knee down anymore. It's just too friggin' expensive on all those titanium sliders at £40 a pop.

Lol. The lamp post was still upright when I left it! I just kissed it, rather than hit it!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, I guess speed with the conditions is something you gain with experience.

Riding the clutch on a bike is sooo easy compared to the car, I feel like its ood, but I guess I'll get used to it Smile

Do they teach you anything about KD on advanced? I like the feeling of peg scrape, so I'm sure I would love KD. Instead of the Ti sliders, why not get some cheap plastic ones for like £10 Smile

Okay, well that hasn't happened to me Smile and I hope it wont. I'll be doing all my lessons in the dark, it will be 10x easier when I do my test in the light.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Driving takes very little skill; just turning the engine on, you can drive an automatic and it will go, and then brake or accelerate.

Are you learning on a manual? I learnt on a manual and have only ever owned manual gears. I drove dual manual/auto on the continent - there are some advantages, particularly in heavy traffic.

Do you learn KD on Advanced? KD, as in KD Lang? Laughing

Don't know what KD is. "Killing Dipsticks"? or "King D..' errrrr...better stop there.

I love night riding! I know my friends think I'm weird. Most of them hate it. But I do a lot of it. Lone ranger lol!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:42 am

Yeah, I wouldn't like to drive an auto though, never driven an auto car just a load of manuals Smile

Yeah learning in a manual. My mates Mum learnt and passed in an auto, I heard its impossible to stall an auto. She was such a bad driver that she managed it lol!

Haha KD = Knee Down Smile

Kind **** is what I call most drivers on the road when they annoy me Smile

Me and you both, as long as its not too cold, but then I also love driving during rush hour. Weird ain't I.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Ahhhh..the art of contracting words Smile

I had a terrible ride today. A lorry driver switched into my lane at the traffic lines and would've ploughed me over had I not drifted offside. I pulled in front of him and stopped the bike and turned around. He was covering his mouth with his hands in shock at what he'd done. I'd hate to have to drive a car with such huge blind spots. Equally, he should've indicated early and signalled. At least he's learnt to look out for bikers after almost mowing me down!

I hate driving during rush hour....ug. Did it today. I'm so knackered I can't even think straight after riding for 4 hours today. Got a flight to catch tomorrow too. Going to be knackered....!!!

PS - automatic transmission is great for cars in a traffic jam so that you don't hover between first gear, neutral, and stationary. On a bike, I guess it's like riding a scooter Smile
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will-Radford on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm

In traffic, go fred flintstone style?

Lucky you didnt get mowed down aye

Last edited by Will-Radford on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Will-Radford
Junkie
Junkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:21 pm

I was very close to being mowed down. There's nothing that I could have anticipated would have prepared me for that. I'm just lucky the lorry didn't want to 'drift over to the opposite side of the road because he spotted a fiver. Braking wouldn't have helped me either - I'd have been flattened by the rear. All I could do was clutch in, and drift off to the nearside. Thankfully there wasn't any cars coming up the nearside then.

I was so angry with the lorry driver I was going to stop my bike in front of him and call the police. Until I saw the expression on his face, I realised he'd made a genuine mistake and seemed to have learnt something from it.

Okay - the real reason I dropped it was that his mirrors were too high for me to punch with my titanium gloves Very Happy
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:05 am

Okay - the real reason I dropped it was that his mirrors were too high for me to punch with my titanium gloves Very Happy

Lol Morgan, what TI gloves are them? I want some. Got to be careful though as you could brake your hand.

What was wrong with letting your sliders do the work on his door as you stopped near the traffic lights Smile

Its a good job you were on the ball even if he hadn't seen you as in a big lorry like that, he could easily of hit you and not known. At least he knew it was him that made the mistake and it will teach him too look into his blind spots in the future.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down