graduated licenses...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

graduated licenses...

Post by whitebrad on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 am

not sure what they are really called, but was reading a thread and it said mod 1 and mod 2 test, so i googled english motorcycle mod 1 and found out that you all have restricted, or graduated licenses...

i would think that in the US we would overthrow the government for such activity, but what do all of you say? sure, you probably aren't the biggest fans of it, but thinking of our fair country, it would probably save more than a few lives...

how do they graduate them... age/skill?

how long do you have to stay at each level?

do you have more choices of smaller displacement streetbikes over there? (over here they are pretty limited)

would love to know more... like if i have a license in my state, and i moved there, would i have to retest? start over?

thanks
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: graduated licenses...

Post by DanHam on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:29 am

Right over here at 16 you can ride a 50cc bike restricted to 31mph. I had mine derestricted and it did near enough 60mph.

There is a CBT over here (complusory basic training) this allows you to ride a bike up to 125cc and 14.6 bhp. It is valid for 2 years and after that you have to do it again. If you ride on CBT you have to display front and rear L plates (learner plates) also your not allowed passengers and your not allowed on motorways.

From 17 - 21 you can do the A2 test, but as you are under 21 you have to do the test on a 125cc bike and then your restricted for 2 years to 33 bhp.

If your over 21 you can do Direct Access, you do the A2 test on a 500cc bike and if you pass it allows you to ride whatever cc and BHP bike you want.

There is also the A1 test, this is a full test to ride up to 125cc but without L plates and you can carry pillions and go on motorways.

If you pass the A2 test when your say 20 and want to ride a full power bike at 21 then you have to do the A2 test again on a 500cc bike this time. It gives you Accelerated access to full power.

IF you came to the UK I'm sure you would have to do the test again.

MOD1 - I have just passed this, it is a off road test, it takes around 8 minutes an you have to do various things like prove you can handle the bike, do a figure of 8 and some more stuff. Heres a layout of what your faced with at the test centre.

MOD2 - this is the on road part, about 35 minutes long, the examiner will ask you 3 safety questions and give you an eye sight test, then you will go out on the road for 30 or so mins and you have to show your doing all the neccessary checks and that you are aware of your surroundings in order to pass.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:32 am

What a fantastic summary!

I'm sure I'd fail the test again if I had to memorise that map Very Happy

Do they supply GPS to navigate the test course???
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:37 am

seems easy from the practise i did this morning, you have to do exatly what the instructer says he said, as in they open the gate and say ride in trought the gate and stop, then come over and direct you to the next step ect...

he said the women who does it by me is very keen on the health and saftey issues, your riding could be perfect but if you dont listen she'll still fail you for that lol.

Aprilia RS50 - sold
Honda CBR400 - current
Something Ridiculously Fast - next
CraigB
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.full-revs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am

Craig, a good tip is that usually you reverse your bike in after the test. Well don't drive it into the bay, I did got no minors at all. Theres is nothing to say in the rules that says you cant drive your bike in forwards at the end of the test.

Just don't do what the guy I was with in front of all the exmainers did, he got there and nearly took a tumble, not good first impressions eyy Laughing

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 am

Bluecollarlove wrote:What a fantastic summary!

I'm sure I'd fail the test again if I had to memorise that map Very Happy

Do they supply GPS to navigate the test course???

Haha when I first practiced for the test I was like how the hell am I meant to remember all that, it was all good after I'd been round a few times.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:29 am

what kind of smaller bikes are available? I am guessing since the demand is so high for them they would be more readily available...
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 am

whitebrad wrote:what kind of smaller bikes are available? I am guessing since the demand is so high for them they would be more readily available...

Smaller bikes as in 33 bhp or 125cc & 50cc?

As for 33 bhp bikes, pretty much everybike can be restricted to 33 bhp now, you can go either from a throttle stop or washers in the carbs. On the 33 bhp license you can ride any CC you want as long as its 33 bhp and you have proof. I have a 400cc myself. Many people decided to buy a 'dodgy' certificate of ebay and when they're stopped they present this to the police and normally getaway with it. Or only really in trouble if you have an accident or you get caught at a speed a 33 bhp bike cannot do.

I went down the washers in the carbs route but at £172.99 they're expensive. As for the throttle stop an dyno company can do that for about £50 or soo.

Are you thinking of moving to the UK then?

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:55 am

Yeah, the bike i have has a certificate with it, legal or not i aint too sure. But at least i have it, might get it restricted when i have some money.

Aprilia RS50 - sold
Honda CBR400 - current
Something Ridiculously Fast - next
CraigB
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.full-revs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg J on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:07 am

You bought it then?
Greg J
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 pm

nah.. I couldn't ever move... hell, I don't even speak the language...

will be out there in 2010, though, if all goes right, for a stretch...
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Lol ~ you're coming to visit our humble little island that once conquered the Americas?! lol!

You'll be amazed at how large the American community is out here!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:28 am

i would never be surprised of the amount of expats in any country... though i am not sure about the "humble little island" horseshit!

i am hopefully going on a tour of europe, and would stop in to say hello... either that or stop in to crap on your humble little island...

just make sure you got new rain tires on some bike or another... shit... the way they talk about london is it's like seattle, only with much more gloom
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 am

Laughing whitebrad Very Happy

what bike do you have anyway? Is he a friend of yours Morgan? Smile

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:21 am

i have an Aprilia Mille R
and a ZX 10 R
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:25 am

Wooow, I like the sound of that! Post up some pictures.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:27 am

My Ninchachacha is currently in various stages of rebuild... i got it wrecked and am rebuilding...

i tried to post a picture of my Mille, and no luck...
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:32 am

Okay, what picture host are you using? I'm on photobucket then you know what to do from there as for getting the posting code etc?

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:43 am

i don't have a picture host... i have pictures on my other homepage...

maybe this works...

Decrease Size
Increase Size

Switch Editor Mode
my bitch...
Reason for Editing:
Posting Message - Please Wait
To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Deletion Options
Do Not Delete Message
Delete Message
Reason for Deletion:

Attached Images
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg J on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm guessing that didnt work? lol

Copy the imgae location..
Right click the image, and click on copy image location, post it here and it should work..
Greg J
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Or if you want to email me them, I will upload them on mine then post them on here.

Current
1992 Honda VFR400 R
2000 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
DanHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:00 pm

whitebrad wrote:i would never be surprised of the amount of expats in any country... though i am not sure about the "humble little island" horseshit!

i am hopefully going on a tour of europe, and would stop in to say hello... either that or stop in to crap on your humble little island...

just make sure you got new rain tires on some bike or another... shit... the way they talk about london is it's like seattle, only with much more gloom

Lol ~ I was joking about the 'humble' bit. Well, when I was growing up in this country, people were actually proud of being British (winning the Falklands war; having a prime minister with a hair do etc). I think people were generally kinder back then. Now, people seem to suffer from that herd mentality more ~ maybe it's where I live in the city, rather than in the provincial back of the country though. Weather in London can be quite good actually! We've had a fairly good dry year until the last few centuries lol!

Well now, it's changed a lot..! The country is filled with pettiness and corruption in government office. It's the same cycle that I read about in the end of the Roman Empire; or the end of the last dynasties in ancient kingdoms where bureaucracy; high taxation and inefficiency take root and the peasants continue to suffer.....!

Do stop in and say hello if you come here Smile Our toilets will disappoint you though. They are nowhere near the size of American toilets! One thing I loved about travelling the States was, I could actually wash my hair after camping, using a public toilet when travelling loose: in England, you can barely get in through a toilet door without having to jump on top of the toilet to close the door first!

PS Dan - This is Whitebrad from the AF1 forum! We ride the RSVR Smile
Clearly you never hung around the 'Off-topic' section of the forum!!!
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:21 am

yeah, i have never been to Europe or the UK, and i would be more daunted, i think, by the whole current conversion with the plugs and all. I swear to god, though, i can barely read some of these posts on here, so i wonder how that would work in person!

The herd mentality is seemingly everywhere, as far as i know. It seems to be de-evolution. I mean, the US was sort of always supposed to be that rugged individualism, that revolutionary spirit. and now, well, they don't even vote! so it is everywhere...

and about the toilets, well, i can tell you, i lived in a studio apartment here (a no bedroom thing) where the shower was about 3 ft square and you could touch the opposite wall when you sat down... the sink and shower sandwiched the toilet so bad you got claustrophobic trying to do the duty... so maybe i would be right at home! it has been some years, though, since i lived there...

and yes, it is i, the infamous whitebrad... not sure if that much matters though, as i have yet to be duly elected king
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:56 am

Lol! It's not just you - anyone over the age of 18 yrs will struggle to read some of the writing here! lol!

Travelling here is fun (money aside). Plugs are easier to sort out with an adapter and step-up transformer (110V-240V) and linguistic differences between regions here are not that great. Since the £ took a tumble, most in the US find it cheaper here, but generally the cost of the UK is greater than Europe! You'll find the general degradation of spirit in Europe generally - not just the USA. Since Thoreau's idealism became more of a textbook fantasy in the US, mostly our culture look like it is at the end of a cycle: people are more interested in the purely material version of life; revolutionary life is tapped in by buying all of its icons or dresswear. I wish it wasn't like this, but that's why academic rebellion is often the only alternative!

Crikes ~ I can't stand small toilets, but 3ft square is quite generous lol! Well, you've probably never experienced these awful 'Victorian flats' where the toilet was originally an outhouse: literally, re-attached to the main house and is no more than 2ft x2 1/2 ft!

Which university are you at btw? I've stopped working at university and taken up a freelance post in the provincial recesses of Great Britain Smile
Bluecollarlove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitebrad on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:06 am

I am at University of Colorado... not in Boulder, the wing down in Denver. We have the Leeds Business School, which i am a member, ALTHOUGH this is just a recent change as i have decided to sell out, so i am starting on a new major.

The terrible part of apathy in this, or any nation, is that like AF1, governments have become systems of commerce. Whereas ideology used to at least be present in legislation, (although ideology of exploitation prevailed, as the elites hung on to power), now, the fights all boil down to money. Just look at our economic bailout over here. There is no way the companies that caused the collapse should be subsidized by the state so that the propping up can just allow them to find new instruments of commerce, and propel them towards the next bailout... seriously, there is a mattress company over here called Simmons, that was just sold, AGAIN, and taken apart by corporate raiders, who showed a profit through "creative accounting" to say the least...

so i guess the end of the cycle is really just the beginning of the rebirth of the new elites.

fffkin rich... i hope they taste good, as eating them should be satisfying in some way
whitebrad
Newb
Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next